Tuesday, February 2, 2010

24 hours of D - Not a race for the weak

Suffice it to say my last 24 hours have smacked me around. We can skip the first 4, I am not telling you all what it was anyway, plus the last few is where the action is, like a well constructed action flick. As I have been joking I got fired on my day off, TWICE, that is all. Then I woke up today and started over. Cool.
Get up, felt a little tired, got dressed, kissed my son and dressed him for school (love it), headed off to the weight room to start practice, it is 7am-ish at this point. Got a little business to hand but had to delay it because the person was not in that early. Gym it is! Now it gets good. I started smelling gas in the truck yesterday afternoon, but no leaks I can see but clearly by the time I was leaving the gym I was in full flow of when I was taking the truck to the shop, after practice was option 1A and 1B.
Well remember I had that business to handle so I decided to get it done between the weight room and track, let's roll betsy, even tho she was smelling a little gassy. Rolling along with the windows down hoping I do not pass out from the fumes. Then the accelerator goes dead. Uh oh, I just took the truck in for that. Coast around the corner, step on it to test it and NOTHING but a pop in the engine. Wow what was that? Out of the corner of my eye I see some thing. What is that says my brain. My eyes scream FIRE! The right front is in full flame, and growing!!! Jack Bauer was a black man for 10 seconds. brake/putinpark/unclip seatbelt/grabphone AAANNNNDDD bounce! Walk away from the vehicle D! Call 911, oops, wait...
I skipped a part. On my way to the gym I found out my phone was down. Thought I had made a payment and did not. So I am sitting there at 730am with money in pocket and no way to pay the bill until 10:00am when the shop opens. So no calls to be made except for 911. If you did not know you can always call 911 as along as you have a signal. ok back to the action...
CHP happened to be driving by and pulls over, he blocks traffic and stands next to me and watches the fire, the Car-B-Q as he and the fireman would later call it.
I am safe and sound. The engine is D-U-N! A few sprays from the water hose of the fire truck and it was all over, nice plume of white smoke.
Bye truck, 1989 silver 4runner in decent condition, gone by the car killer. That is 4 for me now, only one was my fault or carelessness, that other three are wear and tear, and a drunk driver.
It is over I proclaim. That 24 hours is in the books. As soon as I pay the 200 to the tow company that was called out to drag the truck away.
Get this, they want me to pay them for the towing and storage AND sign over the truck to them if I want to junk it to them! Where dey do dat???
Can someone show me a track meet! Damn!

No comments: