Wednesday, November 29, 2017

The possibilities of the thing...

A couple of months ago I wrote a fantastic blog, it was filled with heart and soul, and love and despair, anger and emotion.  I just deleted it because it was a tragedy, and filled with sadness that needed no life.  So, I wrote it all, got that out, vented, and deleted it because time heals all wounds and brings great wisdom.  I was driving yesterday and thinking about what I wanted to write, and what I wanted to share.  Here is the resulting epiphany.  Periodically, I will write about a different athlete I have coached or helped coach over my 20 plus years.  I will not use names, you can guess who they are, who they are will be obvious to those that were there.  I think, well, it should be obvious LOL.  Some I will make obvious.  These will nt be mudracking stories, or petty shots, these will be fond memories from me of me.
World and Olympic medalists, or just plain old athletes.  No order, no preference, no hierarchy, but I will try to hit as many as I can for as long as I can.  If I cannot write something inspired, I will wait until I can.  So, let me think, who shall be first? 
Some time before today this athlete came into the group.  How is that for secretive LOL.  Right off the top I want to thank this athlete for trusting me to always take me on the road.  I went a lot of places and spent a lot of time in foreign countries because this athlete wanted me there.  The best of these trips involved a funny moment that only can happen in real life.  
It was a long trip, like 2 or 3 weeks.  We started in Stockholm.  First race up was going to be a tough one because the competition was not there for the games.  I will not bore you with warm up stories, nor descriptions of races.  You can pull up results and videos for all of that stuff.  Well, at least not in this story, not this time.  On this trip, it was all about dusting of the rust, getting a good run in before the next meet, which is where we planned to lay it down and run fast.  This meet was about winning.
Win he did.  The race was as tough as advertised.  Like I said, the opposition was not there to play around.  We were victorious, race was over, on to the next one.  Right after recovery.  The first race is always taxing off the plane, no matter how much time you plan ahead.  
All of a sudden, there was urgency.  In the midst of recovering, a mad search was on!  What was the urgency?  Simple, a lost earring.  LMAO  It seems so frivolous, right?  Well, let's just say it was worth searching for the earring.  If any of the personnel there found that earring they would have been very happy.  So the search was on.  We walked the track, every meter of the race.  No, earring, which was alarming but there was little chance we would find it.  As we reached the finish line, it looked as if someone had found rent that evening, and walked off.
As we crossed the finish line, quickly approaching the inevitable conclusion that the earring was gone, it dawned on me to look outside of the lane because what you do not know, is the race ended dramatically.  Dramatic as in, a full front flip.  I told you the race was going to be hard, it went down to the wire, it was won on a lean.  The lean resulted in a front flip.  Thus, the missing earring.  So, I looked around where the flip occurred and voila!  Laying on the white line was the earring.  All the carats intact.  Someone missed out on rent LOL

This is a sample of stories I will tell.  Things I recall from my travels.  The athletes around then should recall who this is.  That earring was a big deal at the time, now not so much.  With these new millionaires buying carats like carrots, Aqib Talib would have paid it no mind LOL.  Now let me go think on who else I can write about, and what obscure tale I can tell.  Enjoy your holidays, If you are ever in Pomona, stop by and see me.  Peace, D

No comments: