Saturday, April 12, 2008

DJ Cool down

So as I sit back trying to ignore the fact that I am at work I am writing you all about today. Now follow closely because this is what some of us do to love the sport.
I spent my entire day at Drake Stadium (UCLA) enjoying a track meet. Here is a quick synopsis of what went down...
Threw together some relays. My star hurdler misses the race because he thought the race was at 1:30PM and thought it wise to leave his house at 11:45AM. Problem is the race was at 12:25PM. This would be foretelling for his day. LOL
Relays went well, a bunch of hurdlers, and qmilers ran. Team A ran 38.88, not bad for having two qmilers on the team; Tyrone Edgar - David Neville - Kelly Willie - Leroy Dixon.
Tasha flinched and nailed herself to the blocks (NCAA rules had her worried) finished second in 13.27.
20 minutes later she lined up and ran 52.89 for a long overdue pr! Thank goodness. Nice work for 20 minutes.
Next up was Ryan for his big re debut at 400iH. He false starts! Amazing. All I could was laugh, he was hot. Had to go get on the massage table and remove himself for a minute. LMAO I think someone was looking out for him today, he was not meant to run those races, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL
The 200 was an in group showdown. Turned out to be our second dramatic event of the year. Kelly went down with a hamstring injury. It always sucks when your athlete goes down. Experience teaches you to keep your chin up and things will be fine in a few weeks. The emotion remains however, you are disappointed.
Craig Everhart ran a pr 20.78. it was nice to see him show his wares again been a long time for him.
Tyrone Edgar ran a modest 20.98, he is a work in progress and everything bodes well for him summer.
So fast forward and we close the day with the 4x400. As a part of Ryan's penance he was thrust into the relay. This is where he was supposed to be. We did alright, nothing to write home about. I was happy to see the people we had running out there. Exorcised some demons and got to see the product under real life scenarios.
One thing was clear from this meet, Allyson Felix is untouchable. She has 2 gears, FAST and FASTER. Her split was 49.5! She was a comfortable 5 or so in the lead and put 40 on the girl within 250 meters! My new name for her is One Speed!
Overall it was a picture perfect day on campus. Damn near a hundred and no wind, it was a track day and I am happy.
I left tired, hot, sticky, dusty, mentally energized, physically tired and went straight to work. Where I sit here now writing all of you. This will end soon but for now I am trying to not move too much. All I want to do is talk about track...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff man...
Jama