Saturday, February 16, 2008

Been a long time...

I shouldn't have left you, without a strong beat to step to...

Hello. I took a week because I did not have anything to say positive and I was busy writing to other sources to vent my frustration with some international situations in track right now. I just find it hard to be quiet about some episodes in our sport that prove to be counter productive to the greater good.
I am about growing the sport and turning it into a force. That takes thoughtful public relations. We cannot afford to dwell on drug cases from a "half empty" point of view. Some call it spin, I call it marketing and brand management, something we have nothing of at this point. We have a bunch of intelluctual know it all's that play a game that is not positive for the sport. While I am sure they are smart and have a plan, they have failed to demonstrate the savvy and vision to grow the sport to another level.
What I am really looking for is the growth as a business where we start to see more than the superstars earning a living. Where we see the coaches able to be coaches and not part time advisors that cannot travel and have to buy tickets to track meets. Where the athletes that are in the top ten at least can afford to train at a level that moves them up the next year. A visionary would realize a simple fact, the better the athletes perform the more the sport flourishes. When will those in power start to realize the athlete is the number one priority?

Meanwhile, the Olympic year has started with a few stars doing big things indoors. Kallur broke the long standing wr in the hurdles, amazing. Folks have widely ignored it but she has put together an indoor campaign for the ages. My question is where is she going with all these races. She will leave indoors with double digit races I think. The man I am watching is Dayron Robles. The man ran 7.36 and 7.33 in back to back races. Those are the number 2 and 3 times in history. This man is 6'4" running 7.33. Incredible. Outdoors is going to be fun. And oh yeah, I expect him to break the wr in Valencia.

Other than that, life is progressing. I am happy with the training that my athletes are doing, trying to get my one wounded soldier back on the track, and keeping the rest healthy and groomed for war. We are about a month away from seeing the big dogs come outside and play, and I cannot wait. Olympic years tend to start slow and build gradually. We will see which direction this season takes. I may have a few surprises for folks myself. LOL

No comments: