Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Swag

Maurice Greene has retired. My friend, and the most confident man I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Mo was a witch. He would talk it and walk it and it was sometimes weird to experience it. He had an unstoppable ability to win, to will himself to victory. He never doubted or worried, he trusted and executed.
I remember when he said he knew he had it. True story, Prefontaine 1997. He had just come off the track after the 200, he ran in lane 8, came from behind to finish 3rd. He ran something mediocre like 20.43. Nothing about the race looked special, as a matter of fact he looked tired and he got handled on the turn by everyone, including Allen Johnson. Mo came up to John and myself excited. He said "I got it! I understand it now. I cannot explain it but I got it." His next race was nationals and the rest of his career is historical. The last time I doubted Mo was at nationals that same year. He ran 9.90 to win it and walked off and proclaimed to us that he could run 9.9 whenever he needed to. We laughed.
The best memory I have is his first title in 1997. I can watch that race right now and it will bring joy to my heart and excitement to my soul. The strange thing is I was rooting for Ato that race. I wanted them to go one two, but Mo winning was a thrill. The man was a genuine as they come too.
Good on ya Mo. You had a great career and brought great joy to my life. Walk tall and know that nothing has been missed and miss nothing.

The Giants ruined history. I do not like either team but I did enjoy the defensive display put on by those men. I was talking to my brother in the fourth quarter when it was still 7-3, and I said there is no way you think New England is winning this game. I mean the Giants manhandled the Pats out there. That front four of the Giants was just brutal. They were unstoppable. Great game, I am not sure you could ask for more drama than that. And that is why weplay the game and run the races. Unlike college football.

Did I tell you guys the Lakers have Pau Gasol and that they are looking good? Yeah I did.

UCLA is the team no one wants to play this year. I am telling you now that if they continue to play the way they are it will be 40 minutes of hell on any team in the country.

I go into this week giving it all to my Lord! All of you pray for me in this endeavor, the more I can give to God the better I can function through my life. Have a good week everyone. Keep your eyes on the prize and always put God first.

No comments: