Friday, February 1, 2008

Millrose

I was perusing the results of the Millrose Games and I realize that nothing makes indoor track more appealing. There were some decent results and performances tonight but it is still indoors. The track in New York is an old wooden 165 YARD track! Who runs yards? They held 600 YARD races as if I am supposed to know what the times mean in the end. We are in the 21st century, meters is what we are about. This silly obsession the US has with the empirical system is bordering on insanity. Nothing about yards translates in the big picture. The baffling part is they found a way to squeeze 60 meters on the infield. At least I can look at those races and know what I am seeing.

My man Leonard won. If nothing else there is a little prestige that comes with winning the Millrose Games. I have had a few people win it a few times and I realized it was nice to say they had won the Millrose Games. I am happy for Leo because he had a rough season last season battling knee problems that resulted in some clean up work at the end of the summer and now he has returned to defend his indoor title. Good on ya, fella!

So since my last rant MJ has come out in support of his client and given us the most PC answer I have ever seen from MJ. I have read a lot of his columns from the UK and seen a lot of his commentary over there, he has a reputation for being critical and harsh, just like the Brits like'em. Yet he has chosen to take the PC route on this one. I cannot say I blame him, but I could not let it pass without pointing out the 180 he pulled when it comes to his own interest. I wonder will he lambast Darold and Jeremy for being friends as he did Maurice and Ato in 2001.

So this week in the Manger was a good week. All my athletes are not 100% but that is expected. The difficulty is getting them to maintain their focus and patience. When the athlete is hurt the emotion is the danger. I have one hurt, and another ailing. The hurt one is the young lion, and he is far too prone to his emotions. The ailing one is the old lioness and all I need to do with her is pay attention to the creaks and moans like those of an old house. Plus she knows herself well now and keeps on top of her business. It is that time of the year too, the body is loaded, worked, and feeling the pain of the fall. As a coach I have to be mindful of rest, recovery, and pace.
It is kind of like fishing, when you have the big one on the hook you cannot just yank it in the boat, you have to pull a little and give a little, let em run some. I am happy with everyone, even when they are not. They cannot see it because they are the ones doing the work and feeling the pain. This is where I earn my money, as a wise coach once told me, it is my job to know better!

I got a wake up call today by way of a phone call. If I am not putting folks on the podium AND coaching the sprints, my life in this sport is marginalized. It is not new news, but it was a jolt to hear it. A challenge is what it is. Not the one you think though, it is time for me to change the game. This sport is about more than just sprints, and it is my challenge to shed some light on the other events. I have a plan and it is in play, i also know it is already done. Awreddee!

No comments: