Thursday, January 31, 2008

Plenty to Say

As mentioned I coach track. My job is to stay even as best I can and make sure my athletes can depend on me when they need me. I cannot afford to get too emotional or too off center because I need not be caught up in the emotion of things and distracted by whatever the issue is. Well I do it well but that does not mean I am not human. Oh I have thoughts, and many opinions. I will share some now, cannot resist.

So this week we have one of the premiere athletes of our sport and of all time leaving his coach after one of the athletes most successful years. Without exposing details I will chronicle what I know. The athlete was recruited from high school by his coach. Within 2 years the coach had taken the athlete to the top of the world; NCAA champion, and Olympic champion, and a persinal record of 44.00. Over the next three seasons they would lose just one race and drop that p.r. to 43.45, adding two world titles and numerous sub 44 clockings. Now that is just the athletes exploits. The coach is the same man that gave us the most prolific 400 runner in history. He is the only man to coach 2 men under 44 seconds.
I have set up the scene. The word in the public arena is that it is about money so that is exactly what I will comment on. WTF! Newsflash, a coaching contract based on percentages is far better than a flat rate. Why? Simple, you run fast and get paid the coach gets paid, you run slow and do not get paid the coach does not get paid. Flat rate, coach gets paid regardless of your results. That is the basic review.
On a more acute point, how do you with good conscious offer a 70% cut to a coach that has brought you up and stuck by you. Forget my personal opinion of it, that is just bad business. By appearances and presentation this is disrespectful. Nothing about this move and offer screams business move, it instead screams "there is something else going on." Now my personal opinion is this is merely about money, I do not think there is anything more to it. I just think it is a bad business move. The offer was terrible. The impetus is understandable, no one wants to give away all their money, but dammit given the relationship and history more was owed to the coach.
Some of my friends believe the worst part is the timing. A coaching change in December of an Olympic year is bananas. What a Christmas present!
I am telling you now, the coach is hurt. No I have not talked to him and I will not, but I do not need to talk to the man to know the hurt felt from such an occurrence. I have been there at ground zero of a very similar move. Funny thing is the athlete back then was about the same age and thought he was right in his presentation. Nope, not then and not now.
The coach athlete relationship is a sacred one to say the least. It always marvels me at how nonchalant athletes seem to be about this. They bounce around believing the coach is expendable. Yet throughout the history of our sport the most successful athletes have not changed coaches. They chose a coach and stuck with them through it all. Show me an athlete that jumps coaches and I will show you a marginal one, or one "with talent". The level of trust and belief it takes to get to the mountain to is developed through time, and through wars, personal and professional. If either party takes the other for granted the bond is broken and the level of success is lessened. You can clock it as sure as you know the sun will rise in the east.

On a smaller note. A rumor struck the internet yesterday. Let me say something. Be mindful folks of what you say online. You are not as anonymous as you believe and the information you are so eager to share has real life consequences at times. Just be more careful! I know it is the internet and information is the fare here, but be smarter. I will say simply, think before you go breaking news sometimes money is affected by words.

Ok I have said my peace, I am sure I will have more to say soon. LOL

No comments: