Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Dynamic v Static

Ok I normally pace my entries but I have had stuff to say. Tonight's topic is one that irritates me to no end. There is a raging debate among biomechanists, coaches, physios, and athletes about which stretching or warm up routine is best, static v dynamic.
I have seen both. I have seen a couple of videos. Heard more than few opinions, professional and personal. And here is the answer. Yes I said the answer. It is both. You need to have both in your program, not either or. Here is another revelation, dynamic programs contain both. No one pays attention to this small fact. Every single dynamic program I have seen contains static stretching.
That aside, let me elaborate. Static stretching can hurt you. It creates micro tears, and if you push your self beyond your limits you will irritate something. Dynamic stretching is limited by the body and its various systems that protect itself. However, it fails to "stretch" when you are "tight". The theory of dynamic proponents revolves around the notion that blood flow and "warming up" will lubricate the body enough. We have all trained to the point of being "tight", and I do not care how many A skips you do, until you sit down and touch your toes that tightness remains.
Everything is in moderation. Example, I know of a hyper flexible sprinter who developed an insertion issue where his hamstrings meet his glutes. Nothing helped, he stretched and stretched, and yet it remained. He had to stop stretching. His hyper flexibility was irritating the spot. This is why we were told growing up to not bounce but hold stretches. Even in the new dynamic regime they stress not bouncing but controlled movements with a minimal hold.
My warm up is dynamic by definition. It takes 45 minutes. It includes, jogging and/or striding, static stretching, and dynamic drills that focus on the specific movements of running. Admittedly there are other drills or dynamic stretches that can be included, but what I use is effective and ensures a proper warm up when done correctly.
Done correctly. Here is another key aspect. It is hard enough getting athletes to do static stretching for the appropriate time, short cuts are worked into all warm up routines. I did it as an athlete, and when I was in college we had the "modifications" down to a science. Dynamic routines become just that, routines. I watch the athletes do the fancy stuff without a thought of why they are doing it nor with the intensity needed to achieve the prescribed goal. This is to be guarded against if you are using a dynamic routine void of static stretching.
All of my opinion aside, my point is both types of stretching are needed. No one should ever do static stretching for 30-45 minutes, that's called socializing. LOL

No comments: