Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Outdoors has started

So now that the season of Indoors is behind us, and we have learned nothing from it, let's turn our attention to the real season. As per annum, we will see a lot of relays, and get the chance to watch folks run strange distances and look good with the stick.

I have been coaching for some 15 years now and I have only had the pleasure of attending the Penn Relays once. That is sad. I barely remember the experience and only spent one day in town. I do recall the hotel room being VERY nice. The event itself I spent on the infield and could not see any of the meet. LOL

Now conversely I have been to Mt SAC more times than I can recall. The strange thing is I never ran at Mt SAC. I started running track at the age of seven! I went to UCLA, and I never ran one race at Mt SAC. I do not know why this happened or how. Mt SAC was the place to run when I was growing up, and with the thousands of heats they run I cannot understand how I never ran a race there. Well I have solved that issue, I have athletes run there every year. I think the word is "vicariously".

So this week I am punishing to polish. Had some good performances over the weekend but it is only March. I have never seen an Olympic medal won in March but I have seen them lost in March.

On the news side they caught the 19 year old that killed the local football player. High school quarterback who was league MVP, shot dead for no reason! The culprit is a 19 year old Hispanic gang member they are trying under special circumstances which means the death penalty in Cali. I pray they lock him up in a box with no light for the rest of his life. Just leave him there and feed him so he does not die.

Can we fast forward to June so we can just get this party started already!

2 comments:

Track Evangelist said...

I couldn't agree with you more about indoors. Good riddance..LOL. Just kidding. What meet is better in your mind..Texas Relays or Penn Relays?

Coach D said...

Texas Relays is a better meet. Penn has a tradition that is unmatched and the JAM crowd make it enjoyable. However, the old school stadium, the old school paddock for check in and mainly relay format is limiting.
Texas has it all! And more importantly you get to see the absolute best of the best on a consistent basis out there. Not the carnival atmosphere of Penn more of a track meet feel to it all the way around.